why brown girl diaries?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

why? i was kinda asking myself the same thing last night before i actually decided to sit in front of the pc and actually make this blog. i was thinking of something clever or funny to name it and i came up with nothing (i'm obviously not the imaginative type).
then, while watching the olympic games on tv, i chanced upon the qualifying round of the 200m men's butterfly swimming event, or whatever it is that they call it, and a Filipino swimmer by the name of JB Walsh came in 1st. the commentator explained that he grew up in Virginia, USA, but chose to compete under the Philippine team. he wasn't able to qualify for the main event, but it got me thinking, here's a guy whose obviously half American and grew up in the States but still decided to represent the Philippines for all the world to see.
i want the same thing to be obvious to people when they read and see my blog. i'm Filipino, and proud of it. i may have a mostly western view on some things, and i totally grew up with all the modern amenities that people are so used to, but everything in me is pure Pinoy. i'm proud of where i came from, proud of the skin color that most people associate with the color of mud, but hey! this is me, you either love me or hate me, but i'm not going to change who i am just to please others.

0 comments: